Celebrating its centennial in 2018, Westinghouse Park is a 10.2 acre city park situated in Pittsburgh’s East End neighborhood of Point Breeze North.
Here’s a bird’s eye view of the park today.
From 1871 to 1918, the site was “Solitude,” the estate of George Westinghouse Jr. and his wife Marguerite.
In 1871, Westinghouse was already a prosperous, self-made man of 25 when he purchased a house and 5-acre parcel along the Pennsylvania Railroad’s mainline 6 miles east of Pittsburgh, between Murtland Street and Lang Avenue. The location was appropriate; the railroad was Westinghouse’s primary customer and also his way to get around both the county and the country.
Over the next decade, he and Marguerite enlarged the house, and when he acquired the adjacent 5-acre parcel, Westinghouse expanded his estate up to Thomas Boulevard. He also acquired a private railroad siding at the Homewood Station immediately across Lang Avenue.
Here’s how the property looked in 1890.
And here are some photos of Solitude’s mansion and grounds.
Westinghouse also had a new stable building erected, with a power generator and a private laboratory in its basement.
And to get from his house to his ‘inner sanctum,” Westinghouse had a 220-foot, brick lined tunnel dug between the two.
During the four decades Westinghouse lived and worked at Solitude, numerous notable politicians, industrialists, and scientists were regular visitors, including President Willam McKinley, Britian’s Lord Kelvin, and Nicola Tesla, the AC electricy theorist, who lived at Solitude for several months while working out the principles of an engine that would run on AC electricity.
But perhaps the most notable event that happened on Solitude was the 1884 discovery of a huge pocket of natural gas in several wells Westinghouse had drilled in his own back yard.
After both George and Marguerite died in 1914, Solitude was bequeathed to their only child, George III, who in turn sold the property to the Engineers’ Society of Western Pennsylvania in 1918. The society deeded the estate to the city as a public park and memorial to Westinghouse.
The Solitude mansion was razed the next summer, and the park was developed over the ensuing months. In the early 1960s, the stables were also torn down and replaced by the present cement block structure. Other than stone columns at old entrances, the only vestiges of Solitude that remain above ground are several copses of magnificent red oak and ginkgo trees.
Below ground is another matter.
Please continue scrolling down this long page for much more information about Westinghouse Park and George Westinghouse.